Welcoming Jeff Jones, Zenmonics’ New Chief Operating Officer
Zenmonics, the leader in intuitive, omnichannel banking software, announced today that Jeff Jones has joined the Zenmonics team as Chief Operating Officer. Jeff brings 20 years of financial technology experience to his new role.
“To say this is a match we’ve dreamed of would be an understatement,” said Riaz Syed, Zenmonics CEO. “Jeff is one of the most dedicated, passionate and respected professionals in the banking industry.”
As COO, Jeff will ensure smooth delivery for Zenmonics’ ever-growing customer base as well as managing overall company operations.
But who is Jeff Jones? Zenmonics knows he’s the kind of guy who makes things happen. And, sure, he’s a financial leader with an unheard-of tenure in the financial services industry, but what really makes him tick?
We sat down with Jeff to find out more about the man behind the impressive résumé.
- Give us a quick snapshot of your background before Zenmonics.
- I’ve spent 20 years working for banks using technology to solve business problems. I started in development at First Union (now Wells Fargo) and had subsequent stops at BNY Mellon, Bank of America and, most recently, MUFG Union Bank. In that role I led technology for Retail and Mortgage Banking. I have a BS in Mathematics from Wake Forest University and an MBA in Information Management from the University of Texas at Austin.
- What made you want to join the Zenmonics team?
- I have seen how silo’d legacy technology weighs down banks. It drains energy and resources from the entire enterprise. Recent heavy investment in digital & mobile strategies have increased complexity as those channels evolved independently from legacy bank functions. ChannelUnited tackles this problem first at the core services level and works up to the channels, ensuring all operate from a common foundation. This ground up approach offers a solution that is otherwise elusive to the industry. We are transforming banking at Zenmonics and that energizes me. There is no place I’d rather be.
- What is your favorite thing you have learned about Zenmonics so far?
- I’ve known Riaz for some time. His unmatched mastery of the banking channels domain was well known to me. However I’ve been surprised at the extent to which that expertise permeates the company. This is not just a collection of sharp technologist. The team has honed its skills in this domain for many years and brings rich experience to design and problem solving sessions. The result is dynamic discussions among seasoned pros who consider technology and business process variables to drive best in class solutions. This would not be possible without the depth and breadth of talent I’ve witnessed at Zenmonics.
- How do you like to spend your free time?
- I am an addicted golfer, I’ve played since childhood. I learned from my dad and hope to pass the game along to my kids. The time involved is challenging with family and work commitments but I sneak it in when possible. We’re often asked if we are a beach or mountain family. We enjoy the mountains but we are a beach family through and through. Now that we are back on the east coast we look forward to frequent trips to the Charleston area.
- What is one thing that people would be surprised to learn about you?
- I like to think of myself as a “what you see is what you get” person so this is a tough one. If pressed I’d go with this… I grew up in Pittsburgh, something I’m quite proud of that comes up quickly when I meet people. My southern roots are less obvious. My mom is from Georgia so I grew up playing in the snow while also eating grits and drinking sweet tea, a somewhat unusual combination.
- You are a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why?
- No question I’m a black and gold crayon. Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, Wake Forest Demon Deacons, even my wife’s high school. Black and gold is in my blood.
- When you are driving in the car, what music is playing and why?
- Sadly I rarely play music. You are more likely to hear a podcast or audiobook. TWiT, TED Radio, Mike & Mike, and Planet Money are some of my favorites. I play them at 1.5x normal speed, which drives my kids insane. They loudly protest, at which point I often relent to Taylor Swift, Meghan Trainor or someone along those lines. I only listen because of the kids, at least that’s what I tell myself.
- How do you think Zenmonics fits into the changing Fintech and Banking environment?
- FinTech has continuously transformed banking for decades. We all know the rate of change will only increase. Recent innovations offer great promise yet the market seems to have “FinTech” fatigue as few solutions gain traction needed to meet the market’s expectations. A major reason is that to impact customers’ financial lives new capabilities must tie back to the transactional accounts that have a tangible impact on customer lives. Those accounts reside in core systems that are often archaic with limited integration options. This disconnect prevents banks from unlocking the value of Fintech innovation for themselves and their customers.
- ChannelUnited provides a proven gateway that allows banks to integrate Fintech to their core systems. This includes capabilities from our product suite (Account opening, Mobile Banker, Digital Banking, Kiosk) as well as niche functions delivered by 3rd parties. Thus CU both delivers Fintech unmatched in the industry and enables banks to unlock FinTech that operates in a silo today. This is unique in the market.
You can connect with Jeff on LinkedIn and follow him on Twitter.